Here’s How to Shop for the Right Toothbrush for Your Pooch
Many pet owners do not take the time to clean their dog’s teeth. Others might think that it is fine to use human dental care products on their dogs. This is a big mistake. Teeth cleaning of dog are important. If you do not brush your pet’s teeth, plaque and tartar will build up. This will result in teeth decay, and can result in severe pain for your pet. Not to mention, poor dental health will also make your dog’s breath unbearably smelly. Dental health would not just advantage your dog’s mouth it benefits your dog’s health.
Common health condition caused due to irregular dental cleaning for dogs
Improper dental cleaning for dogs can result in several diseases, such as:
- Heart ailments
- destruction to and loss of the gum tissue and bone around the teeth
- fistulas (holes results from the oral cavity to the nasal passage)
- bacteria entering the bloodstream and damaging the kidneys, heart, and liver
- osteomyelitis (bone infection)
After you know how to select the best toothbrush for dogs that is right for your pet, it will make the process much simpler for you, less stressful for your dog, and more effective for the dog’s dental hygiene.
Pet Toothbrushes are Different
First and foremost, it is significant to note that not all toothbrushes are designed in a similar way. While there are people out there who use toothbrushes meant for human teeth on their pets, they possibly are not getting as thorough a clean as they could be. Your toothbrush is made for you to use on your teeth, but not meant for your pets. Pet toothbrushes are designed particularly for pets’ teeth, and they take your grip and angle into consideration, as well. On the whole, they are just a better fit.
Buy Eco-Friendly Products
Now that you are aware that the most excellent option is a pet toothbrush with extra soft bristles, keep in mind that not any pet toothbrush will do. Plastic waste is a real issue around the world, and buying a plastic disposable toothbrush just worsens the problem even more. Rather, buy toothbrushes that are made from sustainable bamboo. They have additional soft bristles that are meant for your pet’s teeth and gums, and they would not add to the existing plastic pileup, either.
Things to consider before buying a dog toothbrush:
- The size of your dog. For example, a bigger dog will have bigger teeth and so it will need a bigger brush. Having said that you might find your dog is so easygoing you can easily brush his teeth, and do a great job with a smaller head.
- The temperament of your dog. If your dog would not thrilled or will be moving around a lot, it is possible a finger brush can come off and get ingested.
- The head of a doggie toothbrush is angled differently, made particularly for the shape of a dog’s mouth. Ensure it is comfortable for you to hold. The handle on a human brush tends to be shorter so it could be harder to reach, mostly if you have a large dog.
- The bristles should be quite soft; a human baby toothbrush might be fine.
When you are selecting a toothbrush for your dog, ensure you buy a size that is breed-suitable. The large-breed option is good for several dogs, but if your dog is a smaller one, ensure that you purchase the small-breed pet toothbrush, instead. As a helpful hint, the small breed toothbrush is perfect for cats, as well!
Whether you are welcoming a new furry friend into your home or you are shopping for a new toothbrush for your beloved pet, keep these tips in mind to make sure you are getting the right option for your dog. In short, look for a pet toothbrush with extra-soft bristles that comes in the right size for your pet’s breed. It is also a good idea to avoid the plastic toothbrush grip and buy a wooden alternative, instead.