With the advent of advanced technology and massive growth in the aviation industry, there is a huge demand for professionals involved in the maintenance, repair, overhaul, and alteration of aircraft. And without saying, the suitable course for this emerging field is Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME).
This course deals with the study of the design, development, maintenance, safety, and efficiency of aircraft. However, it is a technically advanced and specialized branch of engineering, thereby, it is ideal to pursue aircraft maintenance engineering in India from a recognized and affiliated college to widen your scope of understanding.
This comprehensive guide will cover everything about aircraft maintenance engineering, from scope, career prospects, eligibility requirements, and salary expectations. So, let’s begin!
Introduction to Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
Aircraft maintenance engineering course is comprised of both theoretical and practical aspect that is required to ensure safety and efficiency of aircraft. Key functions of aircraft maintenance engineers include inspection, overhaul, defect rectification, design, replacement, compliance management, and modification of aircraft and related mechanisms.
The eligibility criteria of the AME course are as follows:
· Candidate must be passed in 10+2 standard in PCM stream from a recognized Board, or
· The candidate holds a 3-year diploma equivalent to 10+2 standard
· The applicant who is eligible to take admission in B. Tech courses is also eligible for AME program
· Candidate must have 45% of minimum marks in 10+2 with PCM or equivalent
Who Should Take Admission in AME Course?
The job of aircraft maintenance is of high density and duty because aircraft cannot take off without the permission of licensed AME. So, an aspirant must have the following abilities:
· Passion to work in innovative aircraft and flying environments
· A candidate loves to explore the world
· A candidate should have a positive attitude towards life and growth
· Problem-solving abilities and good at learning new skills
· A candidate should be responsible and focused on the work
Scope and Career Prospects
AME graduates can be benefitted from numerous opportunities in the field of aircraft. Alongside maintaining the aircraft system, they can work towards the performance, safety, and security of aircraft. Varied employment areas in AME are listed below:
· Line maintenance
· Aircraft manufacturing companies
· Aircraft part manufacturing firms
· Aviation corporations
· Maintenance, repair, and overhauls industries
· Engineering division of the aviation sector
· Government and private airlines
· Flying clubs
· Airlines like Air India, Go Air
· Technical publications
· Civil defense forces
· Aviation training centers
AME holds a brighter, promising future ahead and this is a golden era for aspirants who have a desire to choose this field as a career option. Aspirants can take up a job as an aircraft technician, aircraft maintenance engineer, aircraft maintenance avionics engineer, etc. with an excellent salary package.
Salary Expectations of AME
As it is clearly mentioned above, aircraft engineers have a reputed position in the aviation sector so they enjoy high-paying job opportunities. At the initial stages, students can take up a job of around 40K per month, which continues to increase as they gain experience. Depending on their experience and knowledge, AME professionals can secure a job of up to 10 lacs.
The opportunities aren’t only limited to India but it extends to companies in abroad as well. Moreover, the aviation industry is facing an acute shortage of AME professionals and that’s why you can expect a rapid increase in the demand for aircraft maintenance engineers in the future.
If you’re fascinated to inspect, test, maintain and troubleshoot the problems of aircraft, aircraft maintenance engineering could be a suitable course for you. The candidate taking admission to a prestigious college will gain more knowledge of aircraft, principles, and its components.
There are many organizations where competent aircraft maintenance engineers can secure a job with a great salary package, such as airlines, MROs, technical publications, defense forces, aviation training centers, government, and private sectors.