Cyberattack in Albuquerque latest to target public schools – KRQE News 13

January 15, 2022
19
Views

KRQE NEWS 13 – Breaking News, Albuquerque News, New Mexico News, Weather, and Videos
by: By CEDAR ATTANASIO Associated Press / Report for America
FILE – Albuquerque Public Schools superintendent Scott Elder poses for a photo outside of Highland High School on Aug. 11, 2021, in Albuquerque, N.M. Albuquerque Public Schools says classes will be canceled Friday, Jan. 14, 2022, for a second day after a cyber attack on the district’s student database prompted a near-total shutdown of classes on Thursday, Jan. 13. (AP Photo/Cedar Attanasio, File)
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) – When the superintendent of Albuquerque Public Schools announced earlier this week a cyber attack would lead to the cancellation of classes for around 75,000 students, he noted that the district’s technology department had been fending off attacks “for the last few weeks.”
Albuquerque is not alone, as five school districts in the state have suffered major cyber attacks in the past two years, including one district that’s still wrestling with a cyber attack that hit just after Christmas.
But it’s the first reporting a cyber attack that required cancellation of classes, all the more disruptive as schools try to keep in-person learning going during the pandemic.
“If it seems I’ve come into your homes a lot in the past couple of years to share difficult news, you’re right. And here I am again,” Superintendent Scott Elder said in a video address Thursday. “We find ourselves facing yet another challenge.”
The closures, on Thursday and Friday, affect approximately one in five New Mexico schoolchildren, in what is the country’s 35th largest school district by enrollment, according to 2019 data from the National Center for Education Statistics. The district was one of the last in the state to reopen last year as vaccines became available.
The small town of Truth or Consequences discovered a cyber attack on Dec. 28, and still hasn’t gained control of its computer systems.
Story continues below
“We’re not out of the woods yet,” said Mike Torres, the information technology director of the school system in Truth or Consequences, a small town in central New Mexico.
The attack has not been previously reported. It came when students were on vacation, allowing time to make contingency plans before students returned. Torres says that while the attack “made computer systems unavailable,” disruption has been minimal.
That wasn’t the case in Albuquerque, where teachers discovered Wednesday morning that they were locked out of the student information database that tracks attendance, records emergency contacts for students, and tracks which adults are allowed to pick up which students at the end of the school day.
In 2019, Las Cruces Public Schools also suffered an attack on their student information database, after a phishing attack lured one or more employees to click a malicious link in an email months before, recalls Matt Dawkins, that district’s information technology director.
After lurking and scoping out the district’s system, a hacker or hackers carried out ransomware attack. Data on many school computers, starting with the student database, was locked up in an encryption. A ransom was demanded in exchange for the key.
“It’s kind of like when your house gets robbed you know? That feeling of being violated,” said Dawkins, in an interview Thursday, as his school went under lockdown due to an unrelated police call a mile away.
The school didn’t pay the ransom, and eventually found a way to reset its data systems to the state they were in the day before the attack. But it required months of hands on work, and extra expenses for temporary Wi-Fi hotspots, and some new computers. Insurance covered much of the cost of the attack.
In the past two years, at least four other New Mexico schools have been hit by costly cyber attacks, according Patrick Sandoval, interim director of the New Mexico Public School Insurance Authority, which insures all districts in New Mexico except for Albuquerque.
Targets across the U.S. in 2021 included universities, hospitals, and a major fuel pipeline. Data on the number of attacks and their cost are difficult to track, but the FBI’s 2020 annual report on cyber attacks said around $4.1 billion in damages was reported by institutions across the country that year.
Dawkins added if Albuquerque faces a ransomware situation, which hasn’t been confirmed, it might face a more complex attack. Instead of holding information hostage, ransomware attacks now threaten to sell data to the highest bidder online. So the student data in Albuquerque might not just be locked up, Dawkins said, but at risk of being shared with identity thieves and other bad actors.
Albuquerque Public Schools hasn’t said if the cyber attack they face is a ransomware attack, only that their student information database was “compromised,” and that it’s working with law enforcement and contractors to limit the damage.
Whatever the cause, they face a similar problem as Las Cruces faced in the days following the attack.
The database used to track attendance and other students was out of commission. It also realized that laptops needed to be quarantined and taken out of service, forcing teachers to work offline.
“Immediately our instructional department pivoted with pen and paper, you know, kind of old fashioned sort of teaching so our print shop was printing materials. Teachers were able to adapt very quickly,” Dawkins said.
Albuquerque Public School officials have not elaborate on the decision to close schools, and didn’t respond to requests Thursday about why a paper system was not possible.
The decision to continue classes in Las Cruces came at a cost. Dawkins said that it probably took longer to get the school’s thousands of computers wiped and reset while teachers and administrators were working normal hours, and they had to live without technology for weeks and weeks.
In January 2020, the district’s computers were running again and in good time, too — the pandemic forced teachers and students into remote learning just a few months later.
___
This version corrects the first name of the information technology director in Truth or Consequences to Mike, not Mark.
___
Attanasio is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on under-covered issues. Follow Attanasio on Twitter.
Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Colder air moves in to start the weekend, especially in eastern New Mexico. Warmer than normal temperatures return quickly though on Sunday through next week.
A backdoor cold front is moving through eastern New Mexico tonight bringing windy and much colder weather, along with light to moderate snow from the Raton Pass down to I-40. The moisture along this front will continue to taper off tonight, but the cold air will push through the entire eastern half of New Mexico leaving high temperatures well below average by Saturday. Highs across the western half of New Mexico will be cooler too, but closer to normal for the middle of January. Windy weather will continue overnight out near the Texas state line, for everybody else, the winds will die down and be much lighter Saturday afternoon.
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Organizers of Albuquerque Comic Con are expecting a strong turnout this weekend. The event kicked off on Friday at the Convention Center with a sensory-friendly opening for guests on the autism spectrum. Organizers say tickets sales have already been strong for Saturday and Sunday with about 50 celebrity guests in attendance and 300 vendors from around the country.
“I love the Clone Wars, you’ll see a lot of my Star Wars stuff if you get a chance, and then I’m starting some gaming stuff as well,” said one vendor. “We’re in some rough times right now, and honestly I needed to get out of the house and get out of the shop, come out and just enjoy myself.”
SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – More victims are coming forward, accusing a former New Mexico school employee of molesting them. Robert Apodaca was already facing charges of criminal sexual contact after an incident with a student in 2019. Three more victims have come forward with their own assaults, and according to police reports, at least one school employee knew of behavior and didn’t report it.
“We were notified of additional victims once the original story came out that Mr. Apodaca had been arrested,” said Attorney Paul Linnenburger. “One of the families reached out to us, looking for assistance.”

source

Article Categories:
News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *