Anger over 'disastrous' rail plans as report backs major cuts to Scotland's network – HeraldScotland

April 9, 2022
16
Views

Data returned from the Piano ‘meterActive/meterExpired’ callback event.
As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles.
Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services.
These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience – the local community.
It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times.
Trade union bosses have lambasted recommendations for “disastrous” service cuts, ticket office closures and job losses on Scotland’s railway.
An internal report on the future of ScotRail questions whether “the provision of ticket offices is viable in the future” as the service begins to recover following the Covid-19 crisis.
It also suggests that the franchise, currently owned by Abellio but due to enter public ownership next year, could make a permanent 10% cut to services.
The RMT union claims this would mean more than 85,000 services being cut annually and a loss of more than 1000 jobs.
The union claims the report seeks to “legitimise damaging cuts to Scotland’s rail network” in a move that would be disastrous for passengers and a “kick in the teeth” to staff who have been key workers throughout the pandemic.
Officials also believe it runs counter to the country’s climate change targets.
Transport Scotland said both they and the Scottish Government had no involvement in the report, while ScotRail claimed the report is not a formal proposal but contains recommendations on the future of the railway post-pandemic.
RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said: “This report is a blatant attempt to further a cuts agenda that will be devastating for Scotland’s railway.
“On the one hand the report rightly acknowledges that Scotland’s rail network has a central role to play in meeting climate change targets, yet it goes on to advocate service cuts, ticket office closures and job losses.
“This will make Scotland’s railway far less safe, secure and accessible for passengers and runs counter to Scotland’s Net Zero targets.
“With COP26 taking place in Scotland in November, and ScotRail coming into public ownership in eight months’ time, we need an alternative future for Scotland’s railway which values passengers and staff, and invests in creating a sustainable, affordable and accessible rail network.”
The report, by professor Iain Docherty, a former non-executive director of ScotRail and Transport Scotland, talks of the changes seen during the Covid-19 pandemic, as well as an expected 20% natural reduction in workforce, as a “unique platform” to “reduce staff costs quickly”.
It adds: “There is also a clear opportunity to explore how digital technologies and automation of certain functions could reduce revenue spend, but this will require addressing ‘difficult’ cultural and political questions.”
The publication comes after it was announced earlier this year that ScotRail will come under state control in March next year, with Dutch-owned Abellio being stripped of the franchise three years early in the wake of an outcry over service failings and rising costs to the taxpayer.
The franchise is also facing a serious financial crisis in the wake of the pandemic and a massive downturn in passengers, and is surviving only due to emergency taxpayer support of more than £400 million
Opposition politicians hit out at the report’s recommendations, describing them as flawed and irresponsible.
Scottish Conservative shadow transport minister Graham Simpson said: “The logic behind this report is deeply flawed. We want to see simpler fares and we want to make travelling by train easier, but you don’t do that by closing ticket offices.
“Not everyone will be able to buy tickets digitally so this kind of idea risks creating a travelling underclass.We should be looking to invest in and expand our rail network and not follow this slash and burn approach.”
Scottish Labour added that the the proposals are “irresponsible”.
Party transport spokesman Neil Bibby said: “This is an explosive report that appears to propose permanent cuts to pre-pandemic rail services of at least 10%.
“This would be economically, socially and environmentally irresponsible.
“The Transport Minister must immediately clarify the status of this report and rule out retrograde cuts to the rail network.
“We should be building up rail services not cutting them back and cutting jobs across Scotland’s rail network.
“Labour stands with passengers and the workforce in the fight against cuts.”
A Transport Scotland spokesman said: “Transport Scotland is pressing ahead to put in place arrangements to mobilise a wholly owned company of the Scottish Government to provide ScotRail services when the current franchise expires as expected on 31 March 2022.
“Permission from the Scottish Government was not required by Abellio to commission this report and Scottish Government and Transport Scotland officials did not hold any discussions with Professor Docherty in relation to his report.
“Transport Scotland, as part of the Rail Recovery Task Force, uses Transport Focus’s passenger pulse research to identify the changing priorities and requirements of rail passengers during and post Covid-19 which also provides a platform to assess the scale and pace of recovery from Covid 19 and, in particular, the potential to move towards our policy vision of an integrated public sector controlled railway.”
A Scotrail spokesman said: “We are seeing a gradual increase in the number of customers returning to the railway due to the easing of travel restrictions and coronavirus controls, but with passenger numbers at only 50 per cent of the pre-covid level, this is not the time to put that recovery in jeopardy.
“Railway jobs are being put at risk by the reckless actions of the RMT and we are urging union bosses to call off divisive strikes and false narratives.”
It should have been a safe space for informed debate, somewhere for readers to discuss issues around the biggest stories of the day, but all too often the below the line comments on most websites have become bogged down by off-topic discussions and abuse. 
heraldscotland.com is tackling this problem by allowing only subscribers to comment.
We are doing this to improve the experience for our loyal readers and we believe it will reduce the ability of trolls and troublemakers, who occasionally find their way onto our site, to abuse our journalists and readers. We also hope it will help the comments section fulfil its promise as a part of Scotland’s conversation with itself.
We are lucky at The Herald. We are read by an informed, educated readership who can add their knowledge and insights to our stories. 
That is invaluable. 
We are making the subscriber-only change to support our valued readers, who tell us they don’t want the site cluttered up with irrelevant comments, untruths and abuse.
In the past, the journalist’s job was to collect and distribute information to the audience. Technology means that readers can shape a discussion. We look forward to hearing from you on heraldscotland.com
Readers’ comments: You are personally liable for the content of any comments you upload to this website, so please act responsibly. We do not pre-moderate or monitor readers’ comments appearing on our websites, but we do post-moderate in response to complaints we receive or otherwise when a potential problem comes to our attention. You can make a complaint by using the ‘report this post’ link . We may then apply our discretion under the user terms to amend or delete comments.
Post moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours.
Last Updated:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
This website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation’s Editors’ Code of Practice. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to inaccuracy or intrusion, then please contact the editor here. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can contact IPSO here
© 2001-2022. This site is part of Newsquest’s audited local newspaper network. A Gannett Company. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. HP10 9TY. Registered in England & Wales | 01676637 |

source



Article Categories:
Education · Jobs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.